All of us in the events industry have suffered through tough markets. I just had the pleasure of being on the road for three months, and a few realizations struck me.
You know you are an EventProf when:
- Your briefcase includes a box of Kleenex, a bag of cough drops, a bottle of nasal spray, allergy medicine, and lots of hand sanitizer.
- You know which hotel chains carry what type of products in the bathroom.
- You had coffee for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- You find baggage claim checks stuffed in every pocket of every coat, briefcase, and piece of luggage you own.
- The wait staff in the hotel restaurant all know you by name.
- The doormen greet you by saying “Welcome Home!”
- You actually believe a Snickers bar is a satisfying lunch.
- All your toiletries are in bottles less than 100 ml.
- You really don’t see the problem in wearing the same outfit multiple days in a row.
- You have mastered the art of doing laundry in your hotel bathroom sink.
- You have a wallet stuffed with small notes for tipping, therefore you have to pay for your cab rides with your credit card.
- McDonald’s becomes your most frequented restaurant.
- You get miffed when someone walks into the “Expert Traveler” line at the security check-point and they do not have their passport and boarding pass in their hand.
- You do not blink an eye when there is a $100 charge to jump on an earlier flight home.
- When you return home you try to put a “do not disturb” sign on your front door and wonder why your bed is not being made.
- When you do finally wake up in your own bed, you wonder why everything looks unfamiliar and you wonder what city you are in.